Sunday News Wrapup – The Outdoors Edition
This post was most recently updated on October 20th, 2016
Today’s news wasn’t as inspiring as usual but I did get the message that when roads are bad, it’s time to drive SLOW. Many accidents. We saw a car spin on the freeway and turned back home when we were on our way to Salt Lake Friday night.
We got ice skating lessons at the Kearn’s Olympic Oval yesterday. It’s so much more enjoyable when you learn how from a pro. Here are some great ways to get outside in the next few weeks.
This information comes from the Salt Lake Tribune.
XCountry Skiing and Snowshoeing
- Wasatch Mountain Club has many touring and shoeshoe activities in the Salt Lake area. Dec 25 (Yes Christmas Day), Dec. 27, and 28th all have snowshoe trips planned. See the calendar at http://wasatchmountainclub.org/calendar/MonthView.php.
- If you need ski gear the Wasatch Mountain Club has a gear swap online at http://www.wasatchmountainclub.org/gearswap (a few cross country skis but esp. downhill skis are also on KSL.com Classifieds section).
- Ski free at Alta after 3pm.
- January 10th is free cross country ski & snowshoe day at Soldier Hollow. See http://www.soldierhollow.com/calender_of_events.php That same night there’s a moonlight snowshoe hike at Hailstone Visitor Center at 7pm near Jordanelle (Heber). Call 435-649-9540 for info.
- Wasatch Mountain at Midway, Wed. through Saturdays has free guided snowshoe hikes. Call 435-654-1791.
Money (Stephen Thaeler and Ryan Halliday in the neighborhood are financial planners)